Nice Braille jewelry designs are hand sculpted to say “Light” in legible Braille. Select earrings, pendants and charms in two shapes. Designs are available in sterling silver and golden bronze.
Over the years, Braille jewelry led me down a remarkable path. Donations benefit Prevent Blindness and we applaud their focus on preventative measures. the American Federation for the Blind provide facts, figures and info and also offer a better understanding and thereby, shedding even more light. Here’s a few helpful tips from the National Federation for the Blind, to keep in mind when you interface with an individual who is blind.
The Courtesy Rules of Blindness
When you meet me don’t be ill at ease. It will help both of us if you remember these simple points of courtesy:
- I’m an ordinary person, just blind. You don’t need to raise your voice or address me as if I were a child. Don’t ask my spouse what I want — “Cream in the coffee?” — ask me.
- I may use a long white cane or a guide dog to walk independently; or I may ask to take your arm. Let me decide, and please don’t grab my arm; let me take yours. I’ll keep a half-step behind to anticipate curbs and steps.
- I want to know who’s in the room with me. Speak when you enter. Introduce me to the others. Include children, and tell me if there’s a cat or dog.
- The door to a room or cabinet or to a car left partially open is a hazard to me.
- At dinner I will not have trouble with ordinary table skills.
- Don’t avoid words like “see.” I use them, too. I’m always glad to see you.
- I don’t want pity. But don’t talk about the “wonderful compensations” of blindness. My sense of smell, touch, or hearing did not improve when I became blind. I rely on them more and, therefore, may get more information through those senses than you do – that’s all.
- If I’m your houseguest, show me the bathroom, closet, dresser, window – the light switch, too. I like to know whether the lights are on.
- I’ll discuss blindness with you if you’re curious, but it’s an old story to me. I have as many other interests as you do.
- Don’t think of me as just a blind person. I’m just a person who happens to be blind.
Nice Braille jewelry design sparks the conversations, you’ve got the nice answers.